Due to recent editorials, ASG (Associated Student Government) elections and legislations passed by the current administration there has been quite…an uproar.
The current (or now former) ASG vice-president lashed out at the University Star (Texas State’s newspaper) on, none other than, Facebook recently.
Editors are being lashed out at and lashing back (as much as they can).
Being friends with a current U-Star writer, and vying to work for the paper myself, I decided I would make my own opinion known on all of this, since technically Star employees cannot, themselves, lash back unless anonymously.
Issue #1: ASG vice-president whining on his Facebook about newspaper editorials.
I’ve been doing some homework on this whole situation and, honestly, it’s been quite an entertaining process. I would just like to start off with how completely professional it is for the ASG VP to complain about the mean old journalists writing about him on his FACEBOOK! (Yes, that is sarcasm in print)
He keeps challenging the Star to place names on the editorial articles in “The Main Point”. He also defends his legislative decision by criticizing money spent on the paper. Granted, there are plenty of ways costs could be cut at the paper, there are always leftover issues and such things, but he’s not actually trying to get that accomplished.
(“The Main Point” is the editorial section of the UStar attributed to, simply, the Ed-Board.)
I’m sorry, but you’re not Humphrey Bogart or James Cagney shouting at the “coppers” to ‘show their face’; or, the Joker yelling at Batman to do the same, for those less affluent in film noir.
If you can’t handle being criticized, anonymously or not, on your legislative moves without turning to Facebook to cry about it then PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE don’t go into politics. For the sake of, not only the public that will have to deal with your whining and antics, but also yourself, you might crack under the pressure of local, state or national politics.
Issue #2: VP and others associated complaining about editorial bias.
I have one word for you: DUH!
Come on, people; you know better than that! Quick lesson: an editorial is an opinion piece, aka: editorial section is made for open bias. This is also one reason it may be anonymous, dim wit! IF members of the ed board happen to write an article with a byline it will not (or should not) show open bias; however, if you have read an article attributed to them in “The Main Point” you will know and possibly be able to read into their bias in their non-editorial articles.
Issue #3: The Alumni Bricks:
The issue, it seems, that may have started all this controversy.
$3,000 of student fees is being put toward the marketing of “Bobcat Bricks”. This is a brick, engraved with your name, installed by the new bobcat statue. You buy the brick for $100 when you graduate, if you want one. Okay, this sounds kind of cool; you will be immortalized at Texas State once you graduate. At the same time, do we really want our money to go toward this totally unnecessary, “kinda cool” project?? I personally don’t, there are far better things that my money could be doing than funding a brick project. The ASG administration has no idea how many bricks have been purchased, either. I think the entire project is bogus!
To all the Greeks complaining about the editorial saying that Greeks who don’t vote to support DeGarmo “will be paddled”. I’m sorry, that’s just good humor! There’s even an ed-board disclaimer saying that they don’t actually believe that will happen. No reason to mindlessly yell to defend your Greek-life! Take it with a grain of salt; realize that it’s humorous and an obvious hyperbole.
I’m open to comments and criticism. Bring it on! I’ll even go ahead and admit I did not research this as thoroughly as I may have for an article and if I am misguided in any of my statements I welcome you to shed light on facts I’m unaware of.
Reference:
Brick Story:
Editorial (which I just so happen to find absolutely hilarious!):
Colter Ray’s (the VP) FB whining (lucky me! He doesn’t have his profile set private…):
Gangster film noir:
No comments:
Post a Comment