I’m almost ashamed to be doing this; it’s such a pointless thing to bother arguing about!!!
People really just need to chill on the whole Twilight subject. Honestly. BOTH directions…sobbing little teenyboppers: IT’S NOT REAL! Haters: IT’S NOT YOUR LIFE!
This is going to be aimed at the haters, mostly because I think the passionate hatred of a series of books/movies and the people that like them is a liiiiitle out of hand.
But, I will address the “Twihards” as well because their obsession runs a little deep.
I wouldn’t categorize myself in either of these categories, but I wouldn’t call myself neutral either. I read the books in high school. I read the first three books before they were “cool”. I remember starting to read the first one on a school trip to Costa Rica because a friend told me it would be an awesome trip book. It started slow, and when people would ask me what it was about I was like, “I don’t really know, apparently there’s some vampire who falls in love with a human…? Yeah, I know it sounds stupid, but I’m bored on this plane.”
Next thing I know, my roommate finds me in our hotel bathroom reading because I couldn’t put it down, but I didn’t want to wake her with the light! Haha
Stephenie Meyer has a great way of writing that connects with the average teenage girl. I bought the next two and read them over the course of a couple weeks…very often staying up till dawn because I was so hooked. Then I had to wait somewhere around a month for “Breaking Dawn” to come out; it was painful! Hahaha
The movies are…ehh...okay. And I don’t walk around wearing “I heart Vampires”; “Team Edward/Jacob” etc shirts…Therefore, as much as I loved the books I do not consider myself a “Twihard”; I often don’t think about it that much anymore until another movie comes out.
I honestly think the people taking the time to literally hate the series and the people that like it, and especially make an effort to show it, need to just get a damn life! CHILL!
I was inspired to write this as a response to an article I read about how Stephenie Meyer has ruined us. At first glance, I laughed. This dude did not really know what he was talking about, and when people try to passionately argue just for the sake of passionate argument but have no idea what they are talking about it really amuses me!
Then I decided to address what he said:
I’m just going to do it generally so this post doesn’t go on forever.
He talks about how the fantasy has ruined expectations for love, men, marriage etc. and all these girls who love Twilight will be forever ruined because all of the great qualities thrown into one person give an unreal expectation that girls will never find…
Well sir, what are your thoughts on fairy tales and Prince Charming……? While Charming may be human, the rest is pretty much all ridiculous qualities thrown into one person that is an unreal expectation.
And just to quickly address the whole Bella issue…she was not in the least supposed to be “the embodiment of femininity”. Stephenie Meyer was trying to connect with the average teenage girl and therefore made Bella awkward, pale, clumsy, tomboyish, insecure etc…no she is no ideal heroine, and she shouldn’t be.
Yes, the way she goes catatonic when Edward leaves is PATHETIC. And gross.
But other than that, she is supposed to connect to the average teenage girl.
THAT’S HOW YOU MARKET TO TEENAGERS, FIRST OF ALL!
The majority of all “teen appeal” movies, books etc. the heroine is the shy, awkward, clumsy wreck because she overcomes the evil, bitchy, tall blonde.
DUH!
(oh, and just to throw it out there…her only ambition was to become a vampire before she turned 19, she wasn’t a huge fan of the whole wedding thing…)
SEEEEEE how stupid it is to try to ARGUE about this stuff?! I’m making points about VAMPIRES!!! DDUUUMMMBB!!!!
I see nothing wrong with girls having ideals for their future husbands. No one should ever have to settle!!
On the other hand, girls need to realize that this is aaallllll fiction. As much as you would love Edward Cullen or Jacob to jump up into your second story bedroom and sweep you off your feet it WILL NOT EVER HAPPEN!
Mostly because vampires and werewolves are not real and humans can’t leap into second story windows…
Don’t hold your breath for Edward Cullen, Jacob or even Prince Charming for that matter, but DO NOT simply settle for the “next best thing” that comes into your life because too many people harp on your ideals.
I think if everyone would just take a breath, step back and remember that they’re arguing about impossible fictitious events, characters etc…we could all just CHILL and let everyone live their lives as they want to.
If some girl wants to like a series of books/movies you have no right or reason to HATE her for it. And if someone doesn’t want to like it, don’t shove it down their throats!
Everyone, worry about your own damn selves and stop freaking out about FICTION!
The article I responded to:
http://m.relevantmagazine.com/culture/film/features/27364-you-cant-marry-a-hot-vampire
No comments:
Post a Comment